Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Rice Cooker Lid of Forgiveness

Back in the BYU days, I accidentally broke my roommate's rice cooker lid, resulting in it horrifically smashing into literally a trillion shards. I instantaneously bawled my eyes out as I swept up the ridiculous mess. When my roommate came home, I bawled harder. I was a wreck. Speaking of sweeping, blessed relief swept me over, when I noticed how calm and gentle my roommate's response was. She forgave me with no hesitation, and I'm forever grateful to her. This experience taught me to likewise be calm and gentle in my forgivings.


Once upon an evening cleary
Lived a nasty crime so dreary
It was mine; it made me feary
Wouldst confess to roommate deary

‘Ere its birth I cleaned the kitchen
I was sweepin’, moppin’, swishin’
Suddenly I took a listen
To a sound that got me twitchin’

How oft doth O.A.R. break
‘Til he shatters? Goodness’ sake!
Shattering is what didst shake
My very soul. Am I awake?

Perhaps I dream. O what a wish!
Wish I were out catching fish
But here I am. My tears now splish
And splash and crash. They’re not delish

Because they’re bodily and salt
I dreamt I could put to a halt
The awful crime. ‘Twas all my fault
O that I could fly to the vault

Of loftiness where none could see
The shame that is all about me
A glassy lid went on a spree
It to the ground didst swiftly flee

Rice cooker had no more cap
My face you’re welcome to slap
Is what I said, you handsome chap
All I wanted was a nap

Door swung open, she was home
I was trapped inside a dome
Frazzled confessions didst roam
But her reaction was like foam

Mortified is how I felt
Think my tears gave me a welt
‘Neath both mine eyes. ‘Neath her I knelt
In that abode where we dwelt

O my friend, you are okay
I have no mean things to say
Please go have a happy day
All your worries wash away

Benevolence was her name
Well not really, but you came
To understand me just the same
I am a delighted dame

Charity on earth doth live
On earth lives those who forgive
Gladsome is an adjective
For all hearts pleasantly massive

Once upon that evening clear
Lived forgiveness kind and dear
Likewise, when I’m far or near,
I’ll plant goodness in this sphere

No comments:

Post a Comment