Thursday, January 16, 2014

Fishing with Russians

Apparently I'm on some strange poetry kick. Here's one about the last time my friend Jill and I went fishing...

We sat on a rock under October skies
The water was sparkly and blue to our eyes
Not like the brightest of blues as you’d think,
But more like the blue when the sun starts to sink

Next to our rock was the rock of the Russians
The Russians who never knew I was a Prussian
Prussians and Russians have nothing in common
Except for the love of consuming the salmon

Also the eating of cod and of trout
And trout was the fish that was swimming about
There in the lake with the interesting name
I flung in my line, and the fishes? They came

They came for me; for my friend, they did not
Five rainbows is the total I caught
But as for her, her line was immune
To the desirable act of the rainbows to swoon

Tug, tug, nibble, nibble, yank, yank, yank
Every ten minutes I reeled fish that stank
Stinky, so smelly, yet so nice to taste
I vowed that none of my catch would know waste

None of my catch would escape from the grave
Which is my belly. Forever enslaved
Would be the nutrients found in the meat
Oh! What a wondrous, splendiferous treat!

I would, of course, share my catch with my pal
To greedily hoard would make me a rude gal
I promised to offer a meal on some cushions
Now please park your thoughts right back next to the Russians

They looked in my pail, and also in hers
Then talked to each other in linguistic whirrs
Then talked to us, not mostly to me
They asked my friend if she would like to be

The recipient of all the trout they did snatch
Of their generosity there was no match
Not at that lake throughout all that day
Yea, there was nobody kinder than they

Humbly accept the fish, she truly did
Gratitude tears in a cup need a lid
Okay, she did not quite cry the Nile River
But from that day on we were both thankful livers

The autumn sky blackened, the stars did arrive
It was a lovely time to be alive
Packed up the tackle box, toted the pails
We left the lake that’s devoid of all whales

And traversed afar back to the good kitchen
To dissect and gut all the things we’d been fishin’
To cook and to prep and to eat Oncorhynchus
I don’t really know what rhymes with that





No comments:

Post a Comment