Saturday, October 24, 2015

My Top 12 Favorite Songs for Running in the Morning


I've seen many an inquiry post -- or "survey" post could be another way of looking at it -- where a person asks: "Hey, friends! I'm seeking some fresh new ideas for a running playlist! What are some of your favorite songs to run to?"

I enjoy contributing to these types of threads, because: I like running; I like having running playlists; I like the songs that I like; and although I don't expect many people to like a certain population of the songs that I like, I do believe that there's a good chance that many people would agree that many of the songs that I like are indeed quite lovely, and so... I recommend such songs!

Here are TWELVE of my favorite songs to run to -- particularly to do half marathons to (I have a half marathon coming up in a week, and I've been mentally/musically preparing for it anyway, and so I thought, Why not share some song suggestions with the world?):

ONE
"Move Away" - The Killers
Any time I am asked to give some "pump-up" song suggestions, this Killers b-side gem is unfailingly one of the first jams to come to mind. Everything about it just screams to me (in a pleasant way that I welcome with all that I am): "Get your keester DOWN that mountain and over to that thar FINISH LINE, you CHAMP!!!"

TWO
"Reckoner" - Radiohead
I admit it: I am a Radiohead fan. Sometimes. Not all the time. Sometimes it's too much for me. But there are two Radiohead albums that I'm a big fan of. One is OK Computer, and the other is In Rainbows. "Reckoner" comes from the latter. Like I said, sometimes a Radiohead song can be too much craziness for some folks' tastes, but several Radiohead songs can be quite pretty, and I think "Reckoner" is a superb mixture of rhythm and real beauty.

THREE
"Hound Dog" - Elvis Presley
This 1956 recording is, simply put, the diggity of all bombs. I never not have suuuuch a fun time listening to this rockin' ditty, whether I'm running, driving, dancing, cleaning house, whatever!

FOUR
"Fields of Gold" - Sting
Pure honesty right here: One of the sweetest feelings my soul has ever, ever, ever felt was when I was approaching Mile 3 of the Summer 2015 Bryce Canyon Half Marathon, and it was early in the morning, and I was watching the rising sun take a peek over the tops of the surrounding cliffs high above me as I trotted my way through the gorgeously picturesque National Park, and "Fields of Gold" by Sting was playing on my machine. Fields of gold, sunshine of gold. PERFECTION.

FIVE
"Ballrooms of Mars" - T. Rex
This is a relatively new favorite that I added to my library not exactly an extremely long time ago... I haven't actually run to this song yet in my life, but next weekend I'm pretty sure I will not be neglecting it. It must needs be that it becomes a race companion for me.

SIX
"Track 4" - Sigur Rós
You may be starting to get the hint that I am a major advocate for slower, relaxing beats for my foot races. For me, soothing songs just fit the glorious foliage and scenery so incredibly well, and it's gentle for the gentle shades and tints of morning. Especially when I have no idea what the singers are saying...

SEVEN
"Gangnam Style" - PSY
Speaking of foreign-speaking singers, how about we talk a little bit about the first video in Internet history ever to reach 1 billion views (it's at 2.4 billion now). Very...um...interesting video, indeed, but this song was actually the theme song of me and two of my friends, for our Halloween Half Marathon back in the year...um...2013? 2012? Why don't I remember the year? It's not like it was that long ago! Guys, I think I'm getting old... *Op, Op, Op, Op, Oppan Gangnam styyyyle!!!*
This was probably somewhere around Mile 7 of my first half marathon.
We did the Gangnam Style dance practically all the way down the canyon. Yup.

EIGHT
"Hombre Religioso (Religious Man)" - Mister Loco
Speaking of theme songs, let us now discuss a smidgen about this absolutely FABULOUS Nacho Libre theme song, which truly does have the capability of giving me eagle powers when I run. It is a song that gives me nutrients. I think that much of the magic lies in the fact that its tempo is always uncannily in perfect sync with the speed of my feet.

NINE
"Everlasting Light" - The Black Keys
Another one of my favorite feel-good songs that is also very often in perfect sync with my feet's movements.

TEN
"Sara" - Starship
Sara is the name of one of my best friends, with whom I have shared most of my race days in these recent years. I've run most of my half marathons with her. Or sometimes I'll have a race in one canyon over *here* and then after I'm done with that, I'll drive over to where she's about to finish her race over *there* and I will cheer for her. This positively outstanding 80's classic always reminds me of her and how she's actually the main person who got me interested in running in the first place.

ELEVEN
"Intro" - The xx
Um, this one is just rad, and I don't know what else to say about it. I don't really have many words for it, it's just that good. Sometimes I repeat it thrice because it's never long enough. (Well, actually, I think there's maybe the option for a 4-hour version or a 10-hour version -- Whaaaat!?!? -- so I'll just stick with the 2-minute version. That'd be okay.)

TWELVE
"Suiren - A Water Lily" - Jia Peng Fang
Saving what's possibly the loveliest for last. Seriously, it doesn't matter one bit who you are, you will find radiance in this song. Ethereal, indeed.

And there you have it. My Top 12 Fav Running Songs.
You can take em' or leave 'em. :)

1 comment:

  1. Mom says: Interesting mix, but I can see how it would be helpful in running and pacing yourself. I think T Rex is sort of David Bowie style.

    ReplyDelete