Thursday, February 14, 2013

Love letter to my celebrity crush: James Maitland Stewart

Dear Jimmy,
You’re dead now, but why should that stop me from writing to you on this lovely Valentine’s Day 2013? Perhaps somehow you’ll be able to find out that this letter of mine exists, and you’ll know how I feel about you.
Indeed you are my celebrity crush. But I’m not going to tell you that I’m desperately in love with you, because, like I said before, you’re dead, I’m not, you’ve got Gloria, I’ve got mortal male eligible prospects, and if I were to be in love with you, I’d be a silly ninny living in a fantasy land and missing out on opportunities here in my own generation.
So, I’m not going to tell you I’m in love with you, though I do think you’re very handsome and charming. But I am going to tell you, right here and right now, that I admire you, and I sincerely thank you for the quality example of living you set here on Earth. Why do I think you’re awesome? Let me count the ways:
1) You honored your parents, and stayed constantly true to the values they taught you when you were young
2) You fostered a lifelong love for learning and discovering new talents to develop, which led you to become not just a remarkable actor, but also a great poet and accordionist
3) You loved your country, the wonderful United States of America, and served it as a faithful soldier for several years
4) You loved your wife and were wedded to her for 45 years, till the day she passed away in 1994
5) You loved your children and undoubtedly taught them the same goodness your own parents taught you
6) You sought and were grateful for the simple joys in life, such as the delight that a family dog can provide 
7) You were always a kind, gentle, fun, and good friend to all who knew you
8) You decided to not let your “high-profile” job make you big-headed; rather, you used your job as a tool to bless the lives of others. I recently watched a 1980s documentary rerun on TV, and it was all about you, and most prominently I remember Gloria telling the interviewer the story of the fan who wrote you a certain letter. In the letter this person explained that they were about to commit suicide, but then they felt some urge to turn on It’s a Wonderful Life for a leisure watch. They got to the end of the flick’s tail (and “tale”! haha, yay for homophones!), to the part where George Bailey reads the book inscription, “Dear George, Remember no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings! Love Clarence.” And then their depressed life flipped upside-down, and they felt impressed to try telling you about it. I’m glad you and Gloria chose to open that envelope and read its insertion, as I’m sure you often didn’t have time nor strong desire to read all your fan mail. What a marvelous service you performed for that person! Did you have any idea you’d do such a great good by just doing your job? I’m sure the positive fruits of your labors numbered many more than this one instance
Last—and maybe not least—I think you’re awesome because you always thought the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was awesome. Did you know that I actually made it into the Mormon Tabernacle Choir this year? Did they call it “MoTab” when you were still around on the planet? I’m happy to know you’re such a big fan of the Choir. I’m a fan, too!
Again, thank you, Jimmy, for your quality example of living. You are my favorite movie star not only because you’re incredibly talented (and don’t you dare deny it; I don’t want your modesty J), but also because of your love of life, friends, family, country, and God. I hope I can continue forth being the best person I can be, as you always strived to be.
Hope you’re having a jolly Valentine’s Day in paradise! Be sure to give everyone my love!
Love Always, Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment